My Mac Apps » MicMüter
MicMüter is a very simple app that runs in your menu bar that lets you toggle your Mac’s built-in microphone on and off — effectively making it a microphone kill switch. In a world where many of us spend much of our time video conferencing, this can be really useful if you need to mute yourself quickly.
- Use a global hot key to quickly toggle your Mac’s microphone on and off (accessible from any app)
- Define a custom global hot key
- Choose to also display your microphone's status in a clickable, floating window with or without transparency
- Set the input level for your microphone when un-muted
- Choose whether or not to play an audible confirmation, including using Text-to-Speech
- Choose whether or not to run MicMüter each time your Mac starts up
- A signed and notarized native application
- Works on macOS Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
- Very lightweight and uses minimal system resources
- It’s free. Similar tools cost money!
NOTE: The code bases of the Intel and Apple Silicon versions of this program are the same, so the functionality between them is identical, however, you should use the Apple Silicon version if you have an M1 or M2-based Mac.
NOTE: This program is free but if you like it, encourage me to continue writing tools like this by buying me a cup of coffee!