Selected Projects » Content Propagation Tool
This was a special "content push" tool that I designed for the Vertex Pharmaceuticals website consulting project back in 2006. They needed a system that would allow them to automate the publishing of web content from discrete development, staging / QA, and production environments and streamline site management as the company's web development team was very small.
As designed, it supported multiple websites and applications, custom database and server configurations, user management, full activity logging, scheduled content pushes, and perhaps most crucially, the ability to quickly rollback changes to a previous 'safe' state in case of deployment problems. The tool was sufficiently generic that it could have been white labeled and repurposed for other clients.
This tool was used at least until 2012.
My Contributions (as Executive Producer)
- Proposing the application given the need for the client to maintain a safe and flexible content publishing workflow.
- Assessing the application's requirements and writing the 40+ page functional specification.
- Designing and prototyping the user interface to help uncover functional, workflow, and logic flaws.
- Sourcing and managing the third-party vendor responsible for the tool's development.
- Testing the application end-to-end.